Can anyone be a blogger?
Yes! Anyone can be a successful blogger with the right idea and guidance. More importantly, you need to have the persistence and grit to overcome the many challenges you’ll face along the way.
That’s just one of the things you need to know as an aspiring blogger.
In this post, we’ll answer the most important questions about blogging as a full-time career.
Here we go.
Beginner Blogging Questions and Answers
- 1. Is it hard to be a blogger?
- 2. What is required to be a blogger?
- 3. How do bloggers get paid?
- 4. How do I start blogging?
- 5. How can you start a blog if you don’t have money?
- 6. Is blogging still profitable in 2021?
- 7. How much does a blog cost per month?
- 8. What are the qualities of a good blogger?
Is it hard to be a blogger?
Blogging as a business is just as hard as any full-time profession. You need to put on many hats and spend hours on content research, writing, editing, blog design, and more.
Remember, if you want to be a successful blogger, you need to work harder than the competition.
You need to write better posts, get higher rankings, target better keywords – everything should be a cut above the rest. Otherwise, you’ll have a hard time getting your fair share of the market.
Must-read: The Ultimate Guide to Blogging
What is required to be a blogger?
Anyone with a capable computer and internet connection can set up a blog in less than an hour. You also need to invest around $100 total for web hosting, domain registration, and some optional site-building tools.
If you’re tight on cash, you can only pay for the bare essentials, which include domain registration and hosting. That should bring the initial costs of blogging down to $30 or even less.
Of course, you also need a knack for writing if you want to create high-quality blog posts. Otherwise, you may need the help of a professional writer and editor to help turn your ideas into polished content.
Must-read: How to Find and Hire Talented Blog Writers
How do bloggers get paid?
A blogger can make money from their blog through sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, advertisements, and online store sales. There are also bloggers who get paid by writing content for another company.
Here’s a quick rundown of the aforementioned monetization strategies (plus a few others):
- Sponsored posts – Companies pay bloggers money to write and publish content about a specific topic – usually with promotional intent. Sponsored posts may also be published for a price on a blogger’s social media.
- Affiliate marketing – In affiliate marketing, a blogger can earn commissions for every purchase made by customers who used their affiliate link. The biggest and most successful bloggers you know today make the bulk of their earnings through affiliate marketing.
- Advertisements – A blogger can make money by displaying ads – be it per click, per thousand views, or per action. Bloggers can work with an ad network like AdSense or directly with brands using custom ad spaces on their websites.
- Online store sales – Some bloggers rely on eCommerce (selling products online) to make a living. If you don’t want to handle manufacturing, shipping, and returns, you can get into dropshipping and just focus on selling.
- Online services – You can also make money blogging by offering paid services like online courses and consulting. Bloggers can also advertise professional services, like editing, writing, and graphic design.
- Gated content – If your blog’s main selling point is content, you can publish “gated content” hidden behind a paywall. This refers to premium posts that require a subscription to be read.
How do I start blogging?
The first steps include registering your own domain and setting up your web hosting. Some companies, like Bluehost, can help you with both – streamlining the launch of your blog.
Once your website is hosted and ready, it’s time to install your CMS (Content Management System) of choice.
Most bloggers go with WordPress for its versatility, ease of use, and expandability – thanks to its massive collection of plugins.
In addition, popular hosting companies come with built-in WordPress installation tools. That means they can help get your WordPress dashboard up and running within a few clicks.
How can you start a blog if you don’t have money?
You can start a blog for free with the help of blogging and microblogging sites like Blogger and Tumblr. The downside is, you won’t have full control over your blog’s design, structure, and overall functionality.
When it comes to your domain name, both Blogger and Tumblr let you use a custom domain. Of course, you must first pay for its ownership through a third-party domain registrar.
Is blogging still profitable in 2021?
The short answer is yes – blogging is still profitable today. However, its profitability depends on your niche and the level of dedication you can commit to your blogging tasks.
As a new blogger, it’s crucial to pick a small, specific niche instead of a broad one. That’s because most big niches are saturated with competitors – most of which have bigger budgets and years’ worth of authority.
How much does a blog cost per month?
An average blog costs anywhere between $2 and $20 per month. Take note that we’re not including the upfront costs of domain registration, premium theme, site builder, and other important tools.
Just bear in mind that the monthly costs don’t always reflect the amount you have to pay each time.
For instance, most hosting services offer plans with annual and quarterly billing. So, if your monthly hosting costs around $2.75, you may need to pay around $8 to $33 each billing cycle.
What are the qualities of a good blogger?
A good blogger needs to be a self-starter, good with online research, and creative. Furthermore, they must be patient since blogging results may take weeks or months to come.
You don’t need to be a degree-holder or knowledgeable in everything about blogging to get started.
Remember, most – if not all – of successful bloggers today are self-taught.
As long as you’re a self-starter with the willingness to learn from mistakes, you’re capable of being a successful blogger.
I hope you learned a lot today about what it takes to be a successful blogger.
I know – you probably still have tons of questions in your head.
My answer to those questions is this:
Just get started.
Whatever your question is, the best way to find the answer is to go out there – find the answer yourself.
Regardless, I’m looking forward to seeing what you have to say about this post.
Did you find the answers you’re looking for? Do you have suggestions for future posts?
Leave a comment below and let’s work on it.
For more tips on starting a blog, check out the links below.
You Might Also Like:
- 102 Blogging Tips: A Beginner’s Monster Guide to Profitable Blogging
- The Definitive Guide to Microblogging (2021)
- Learn Tools and Resources to Take Your Blog to the Next Level