Welcome to my top five SEO tools with free trials.
Here, I’ll cover the top tools I recommend to new bloggers and businesses on a tight budget.
What’s the deal with free trials?
New bloggers often rely on free SEO tools (or tools that offer free trials) to gain some traction.
After all, the first few months of a blog are critical to long-term success. If you fail to manage your costs early, it could bottleneck and inevitably cripple your results
As a blogger for 13 years and counting, I had experience with TONS of tools that helped me achieve high search engine rankings. And the good news is, most of the best ones offer free trials that let you see the magic for yourself.
Let’s hop in.
Semrush is widely regarded as the best all-around SEO software for all businesses.
Get this: For every SEO tool mentioned in this list, Semrush has a built-in tool that does the same job. It can help you with keyword research, competitor analysis, content research, PPC campaign management, and even social media marketing.
Why you need Semrush
Powerful SEO tools? Yes.
Easy-to-use interface? Yes.
Loads of learning resources for beginners? Check.
Free version for small-budget businesses and website owners? Absolutely.
Semrush is the complete package as far as SEO tools go. If you have a small website and understandably have limited funds, you can still benefit from Semrush’s core features, such as:
- Keyword Magic Tool: Use Semrush’s Keyword Magic Tool to uncover profitable, long-tail keywords for your website.
- SEO Project Management: Get a bird’s-eye view of your SEO campaign activities and monitor growth.
- Domain Overview: Analyze your (or your competitor’s) pages to unveil SEO metrics like organic traffic, backlinks, top content, and more.
- Site Audit: Discover on-page optimization opportunities that can skyrocket your search engine rankings, like broken links, internal link problems, duplicate content, and other technical SEO issues.
Remember, that’s just the free version of Semrush.
If you choose to level up your experience and get a paid plan, you’ll unlock a ton of new features, like post scheduling, content topic research, brand monitoring, and many more.
As a long-time blogger, a personal favorite of mine is the “SEO Writing Assistant.”
Whenever I finish a new draft, I simply paste the text into Semrush to check for on-page optimization suggestions. It also checks my content’s readability, tone, and originality—allowing me to focus on writing while Semrush guides me through the technical SEO stuff.
You can check out my full Semrush review for a crash course on all the amazing stuff you can do.
How to get a Semrush free trial
Step 1: Click here to get an exclusive 14-day free trial for Semrush Pro or Guru.
Step 2: Fill in your payment information and click ‘Place the Order.’
Step 3: If you cancel your subscription before the free trial period expires, you will be automatically downgraded to the free version. This is the only way to create a free Semrush account.
Mangools is a suite of SEO tools that also offers a free trial.
It’s not as comprehensive as Semrush, but it offers a solid lineup of tools for various SEO tasks. This includes keyword research, backlink analysis, domain analysis, and the rank tracker.
Why you need Mangools
Compared to heavy hitters like Semrush, the premium version of Mangools is significantly more affordable.
Its collection of SEO tools also works great in helping you achieve SEO objectives.
Here’s a quick rundown of these tools:
- KWFinder: Search for potential target keywords in any language—or extract keyword ideas from a domain or page URL. (Read full tutorial)
- SERPChecker: Analyze Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) and reveal competitor metrics like total backlinks, Page Authority (PA), and Facebook shares.
- SERPWatcher: Track your rankings, find low-hanging fruit keywords, and set up automated reports to stay ahead of the competition.
- LinkMiner: Check your (or your competitor’s) backlink profile to find new potential link sources—or steal their lost backlinks by promoting better content.
- SiteProfiler: Take a deep dive into a website’s performance and analyze its backlink profile, top content, and fiercest competitors.
Unfortunately, Mangools don’t offer a free plan that you can use indefinitely. They only offer a 10-day trial, which may not be enough for SEO agencies that need to handle campaigns over several months.
However, the 10-day trial could be enough for small website owners to craft a short-term SEO strategy. They can use KWFinder, SERPChecker, LinkMiner, and SiteProfiler to plan a month’s worth of content and off-page activities.
Hot tip: Once your Mangools trial is over, don’t forget to claim your 20% Master Blogging discount by following the instructions here.
How to get a Mangools free trial
Step 1: Go to the Mangools homepage here.
Step 2: Click ‘Start 10-day FREE trial.’
Step 3: Create and confirm your account via the email link.
Speaking of all-in-one platforms, Serpstat is among the best free SEO tools if you’re looking for a single app that does everything. Whether you need keyword research, competitor analysis, rank tracking, or site audits, Serpstat has your back.
Why you need Serpstat
Serpstat has a long list of features that can match all the needs of any SEO agency, blogger, business, or individual website owner. Apart from the basics like keyword research, domain analysis, and backlink analysis, you can use Serpstat for a bunch of other activities, including:
- Batch Analysis: Analyze and compare multiple keywords and domains in one workflow.
- AI Content Tools: Similar to Semrush, Serpstat also has AI-powered tools for SEO content creation—from title generation to grammar checking.
- Keyword Clustering: Build an overarching keyword strategy for multiple content pieces in one fell swoop.
- Local SEO: Serpstat will help you get higher rankings faster by targeting narrower, local keyword markets.
Although Serpstat isn’t as comprehensive as Semrush, it is more flexible in terms of pricing.
The entry-level “Lite” plan costs half as much as Semrush’s cheapest subscription level. Despite its limitations, it is more than enough for most bloggers who don’t need to run thousands of reports per day.
You can learn more by reading my full Serpstat review here.
Hot tip: Once your Serpstat trial is over, don’t forget to claim your 25% Master Blogging discount by following the instructions here.
How to get a Serpstat free trial
Step 1: Click here to head to Serpstat’s homepage.
Step 2: Click the ‘Sign up’ button in the top-right corner.
Step 3: Fill in your account details and click ‘Create Account.’
Step 4: Use the confirmation link sent via email.
Step 5: Click ‘Start my 7-day free trial’ and choose your preferred subscription plan.
Surfer is a different kind of SEO platform.
While it also helps with site audits, keyword research, SERP tracking, and basic domain analysis, Surfer’s main highlight is a Google Chrome extension, which lets you optimize drafts in Google Docs while you create them.
Why you need Surfer
Over the years, I used a handful of on-page content optimization tools that work via sidebars.
None of them perform on the same level as Surfer.
The Surfer sidebar scores your content from 1-100 based on on-page factors, like word count, keywords, headings, and images. To help you hit a score that beats the competition, it highlights and tracks these factors in real-time.
Aside from the Chrome extension, Surfer also comes with the following cloud-based tools to help you dominate search engines.
Spoiler alert: I can say with confidence that Sufer has one of the best keyword research tools in terms of practicality.
- Keyword Research: In addition to keyword metrics like keyword difficulty and search volume, Surfer’s keyword research tool also groups relevant keywords into clusters and identifies search intent.
- SEO Audit: Get straight to actionable recommendations to boost rankings and generate more search traffic, from missing keywords, meta tags, site speed targets, page structure suggestions, and more.
- SERP Analyzer: Just enter a seed keyword to learn how to outshine competitors in organic search results.
How to get a Surfer free trial
Note: Surfer’s trial version isn’t exactly free. But it only costs $1 to get started on your first month.
Step 1: Head to this offer page and click ‘Get the deal.‘
Step 2: Choose either ‘Sign up with Google’ or Sign up with Email’ (click ‘Create your account’ if signing up through email).
Step 3: Complete the onboarding survey.
Step 4: Finalize your payment details and click ‘Pay $1.’
Ubersuggest used to be the go-to, free keyword research tool for countless solo bloggers.
Today, it boasts a more complete SEO toolset that includes rank tracking, project management, site audits, competitor research, and backlink analysis.
Why you need Ubersuggest
I mostly recommend Ubersuggest to new bloggers for two reasons.
First, Ubersuggest is incredibly cheap.
While it’s no longer a free SEO tool, Ubersuggest comes with a very low price tag. Its subscription plans may have volume limitations (reports per day, search limits, pages audited per week, etc.), but it should be enough for beginners who don’t focus heavily on SEO.
Second, Ubersuggest offers SEO training and support to all subscribers, which includes:
- Step-by-step SEO training course
- Bi-weekly coaching calls
- Interactive worksheets
- Ready-to-use templates
Of course, Ubersuggest’s user-friendly interface also helps ease the learning process.
How to get an Ubersuggest free trial
Step 1: Visit the Ubersuggest homepage here.
Step 2: Click ‘Sign in’ in the top-right corner.
Step 3: Click the ‘Register here’ link at the bottom.
Step 4: Create your account.
Step 5: Click ‘7-Day Free Trial.’
Step 6: Pick a subscription plan and click ‘Start Free Trial.’
Other Free SEO Tools (or Freemium) You Can Use
That sums up the top five SEO tools you can use to elevate your Search Engine Optimization.
Check out the list below if you’re still looking for more SEO tools.
- SpyFu: Take competitor SEO reports to the next level with years’ worth of historical data.
- Keyword Revealer: Change the way you look at keywords with advanced metrics like Estimated Visits (EV), Citation Flow (CF), Facebook Reactions (FBR), Page Authority (PA), and more.
- Raven Tools: Run site audits, research keyword ideas, spy on competitors, and automate reports.
There you have it—the top SEO tools with free trial versions you can use today.
These are the tools I keep coming back to whenever I launch a new project. And with the instructions above, you can do the same without spending a single cent.
What tool should I cover next?
Let me know in the comments below!