41 Helpful Blog Post Statistics and Key Takeaways (for 2023)
Check out the complete list of the latest blog post statistics in 2023.
I aim to help you utilize data to answer key questions, like:
- Must-know blog post statistics
- What are the best blog post types?
- How long should blog posts be?
- How often should you publish posts?
- …and many more
Let’s jump right in.
Top Blog Post Statistics 2023
- Bloggers who spend 6+ hours on a blog post get “strong results”
- Updating an old blog post can increase organic traffic by 106%
- Bloggers who publish 1-6 posts per week report getting “strong results”
- For higher search engine rankings, the ideal blog post length is around 2,100-2,400 words
- There are around 7 million blog posts being published per day
- Long-form content with 3,000+ words can get 77.2% more backlinks
- 30% of high-performing bloggers use roundup posts
- Blog posts with at least 1 relevant image can get 94% more traffic than plain-text articles
- When planning a blog post, bloggers who earn over $50,000 per year are 4.3 times more likely to use keyword research
- Blog posts with question headlines get shared 23.3% more frequently than other topics
How long does it take to write a blog post?
The top bloggers in the world spend over 6 hours writing, editing, and polishing every post. After all, the more effort you put into content creation, the more your blog content pays off.
Give a little extra time to every step in your content creation process, including research, writing, and proofreading.
- You can get better results by spending over 6 hours per post (Orbit Media)
- Bloggers who spend 2-6 hours get comparable results, with 19-22% reporting great results (Orbit Media)
- On average, bloggers spend a little over 4 hours to write a single post – a tad longer than a year ago (Orbit Media)
How frequently should you publish posts?
As a new blogger, it is recommended to publish a post at least 1-2 times a week to gain traction. This will help you grow your traffic, improve your search engine visibility, and build a loyal readership.
- 58% of bloggers publish at least one post per week – 13% of which publish 2-6 posts per week (Orbit Media)
- Small blogs are encouraged to publish posts 3-4 times per week to gain organic traffic (HubSpot)
- New blogs can effectively raise brand awareness by publishing at least 1-2 times per week (HubSpot)
- Only 1% of bloggers publish multiple posts per day (Orbit Media)
How long should blog posts be?
If you’re new to blogging, aim to write 2,100-2,400 words per blog post to get higher search engine rankings. For in-depth “pillar” pages, the ideal word count is around 4,000 words to bring in more organic traffic.
Whatever you do, be sure to provide tons of meaty, relevant information rather than fluff.
- To get better rankings, the ideal blog post length is around 2,100-2,400 words (HubSpot)
- “Pillar pages” with around 4,000 words get more readers (HubSpot)
- The average post length of Google top ten results is 1,447 words (Backlinko)
- If you want to generate leads, aim to write at least 2,500 words per post (HubSpot)
- The average length of blog posts grew by 63% from 2015 (887 words) to 2021 (1,416 words) (Orbit Media)
- Long-form content with at least 3,000 words get 77.2% more links than shorter posts (Backlinko)
What are the best content types?
To help build your authority, try creating expert roundup posts, interview posts, and question-based posts. Only 24% of bloggers produce roundups, but they’ve proven to be the most effective in building online reach and visibility.
- Despite being used by only 24% of bloggers, roundup posts are considered as most effective (Orbit Media)
- 76% of bloggers create “how-to” guides, but its correlation with blogging success is the weakest (Orbit Media)
- On social media, list posts get around 218% more shares than “how-to” posts (Backlinko)
- “What” posts, “Why” posts, and posts with infographics get 25.8% more links than “how-to” posts and videos (Backlinko)
- 17% of bloggers get “strong results” with infographics, interview posts, and listicles (Orbit Media)
- 41% of bloggers are now publishing original research as blog posts, a steep increase compared to 25% in 2018 (Orbit Media)
How many images per article should you include?
Adding at least one relevant image per post will greatly improve your blog’s traffic. But if you want to outshine competitors, try including over 10 relevant images and custom graphics, like charts and diagrams.
- Blog posts with at least one relevant image get 94% more traffic (MDG)
- 47% of bloggers only use 2-3 images per post, whereas only 9% use over 7 images (Orbit Media)
- 42% of bloggers that use over 10 images report “strong” results (Orbit Media)
- 40.8% of marketers agree that stock photos in blog posts didn’t help them meet their goals (Venngage)
- Over 40% of professionals believe that using custom graphics, like infographics and charts, helped them with marketing (Venngage)
- 90% of bloggers use images in their blog posts (SEMrush)
How to write the perfect blog post headline?
You can get more clicks to your post using evergreen headlines with the words “How,” “Best,” and “Why.” Question headlines can help you get more social media shares, but if you want more traffic, try using specific numbers.
- The top words in evergreen blog post titles are “How” (11%), “Your” (10%), “What” (5%), “Best” (4%), “Why” (3%), and “Tip” (3%) (HubSpot)
- Blog posts with question headlines get 23.3% more shares on social media than non-question headlines (Backlinko)
- Adding numbers to post headlines will make you appeal to 36% more readers (Conversion XL)
- Blog post headlines with 6-13 words get the most clicks (HubSpot)
How much does a blog post cost?
You can hire freelance blog writers and pay anywhere from $5 to over $200 per post. This depends on the freelancer’s skill level and your article requirements.
However, you should avoid going for cheap freelance writers unless you’re creating basic page content.
- When hiring freelancers, the typical cost of a full blog post is around $100 (BrightEdge)
- The median hourly rate of freelance blog writers is $15-$35 per hour on Upwork (Upwork)
Related: How to Find and Hire Talented Blog Writers
How many keywords should you target per blog post?
A well-crafted, comprehensive post usually ranks for around 38 different keywords. However, there’s no magic number on how many keywords you should target per blog post. Just do your research, understand your target audience’s intent, and plan an outline that matches that intent.
Experienced bloggers start with only one or two long-tail keywords while including related keywords whenever necessary.
- 37% of bloggers who always do keyword research before writing a blog post report great results (Orbit Media)
- Only 15% of bloggers never do keyword research when planning a post (Orbit Media)
- Popular blog posts tend to rank for around 38 different keywords (Neil Patel)
- Bloggers who make over $50,000 a year are 4.3 times more likely to do keyword research when planning a post (GrowthBadger)
- When writing a sponsored post, a blogger can make anywhere between $100 and $25,000 (sometimes more) (Create and Go)
- 34% of bloggers get better results after adding videos to blog posts (SEMrush)
- Updating an old blog post can increase organic traffic by 106% (Medium)
- 44% of bloggers edit their posts, while only 17% hire a professional editor (Orbit Media)
- There are around 7 million blog posts being published per day (Internet Live Stats)
- It is recommended to have at least 3-5 blog posts ready before launching your blog (Blog Tyrant)
Being in tune with the state of the blogging industry is the key to remaining competitive.
Hopefully, the list above supplied you with enough stats to make data-driven decisions in 2023 and beyond.
Is there anything else you’d like to know about blog posts??
Do you think I missed an important piece of data that you’d like to share?
Let me know in the comments below!